Follow Me

Friday, February 21, 2014

Breastfeeding and Colds can Bite me!

I am sure most of you have had a cold before. In fact I have one right now, which is what spurs this post. And I am sure most of you have not been concerned because you knew you could take all those lovelies medicines for congestion etc. 
Well if you plan to breastfeed or are breastfeeding, be prepared for you to feel like your head will explode. 
When you are breastfeeding, there are certain things you can't take that could affect your milk supply. I know that after spending 12 weeks getting my supply established I sure as hell wasn't going to let that go down because my nose is a bit stuffy. 
Like I said before, I am currently sick. My husband was sick for 2 weeks and now it has passed on to me. My daughter has not gotten sick and I would like to think that is because of my breast milk. I have the headaches, sore throat, coughing, and nose so congested that standing in a shower for an hour doesn't loosen it up. All I want to do it take some sudafed. But I can't! And you can't either! Here are some DO's and DON'Ts of breastfeeding while being sick. 

DON'T take Sudafed or anything with pseudoephedrine in it. Basically don't take anything that has a nasal decongestant in it no matter what it is called. The idea behind a decongestant is that it dries up your sinuses, but a decongestant isn't picky and it dries up everything else in your body, including your milk. I have read that you can re-establish your supply afterwards but that is not a risk I am willing to take. 
DO try using a Neti-Pot instead. They have these all over the place now, but I remember the first time I saw


these they looked absolutely ridiculous. This GIF makes me giggle.  Make sure to follow the instructions correctly and when it says to not blow your nose afterwards for quite a while, for god sakes don't blow your nose. It will make you feel ten times worse. Now you can't use one of these if your nose is completely blocked but a dinner of spicy food or hot shower might loosen it up enough to use it. I use it randomly for my allergies and I really do think it helps out. 
DO drink Mother's Milk tea or any tea with Fenugreek in it. Fenugreek can help with colds and congestion and it can also help with your milk supply at the same time. The only down side is that it can give you wee-one some gas. Drinking tea in general is good with honey. The honey soothes the throat. 
DON'T take too much zinc. The Food and Nutrition Board recommends no more than 13mgs of zinc daily for nursing mothers. 
DO research any medicine you are going to take before taking it. Check out Kellymom.com for more information on this. 
DO stick with it. I know you don't feel good and I know you just want to lay in bed. But if you don't pump or nurse your supply might decrease, which would lead to your child possibly needing formula and not getting the antigens that keep your babies immunity up.

What are some ways that you do deal with being sick while breastfeeding?

No comments:

Post a Comment